Energy fighting?

Announcements, Dates, FAQs
Gorkyporky
Beginner

Energy fighting?

Post by Gorkyporky » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:10 pm

Hi!
Im wondering how do i fight a TnB fighter like lets say a zero or a spit in an BnZ plane like P-51 or a FW-190 (does the p-38 fit into this category?) on equal terms. Eg. if you start quick misson in a p-38 vs. bf109 on 1000m alt? They always manage to get me on the first pass, or get on my 6, even if i climb like crazy!
And also, how do you fight a 1on1 with 2 energy fighters eg. p-51 v. FW-190? Do you try to outmanever the oponent like when you go 1on1 with two TnB fighters? Or do you just try to get away as fast as you can?
:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Re: Energy fighting?

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:29 pm

Hi Gorky, if your BnZ against a TnB then you should extend away and climb until you can use your aircrafts advantages, assuming that your aircraft is faster, and yes the P-38 is BnZ. The 109 can catch the P-38 in a climb so be sure to have a decent extension first.
As for two BnZ fighters against each other, if your in the P51 or P47 get as high as you can, they kick arse up high, if at co-alt then the same applies as above, extend and climb then use your aircrafts advantages.
Not sure if any of that helps, I'm sure theres something on the internet about this, I'll have alook and post hte link if I find it.

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:41 am

Hi
If I was fighting the AI to find the best way to beat them in your scenario, then I wouldn't do the same as I would if I was fighting humans. The AI have certain weaknesses which you can exploit and strengths you need to avoid, but that is another post.

I guess your using QMB to practice what to do v humans. The simple truth is that in a energy fighter against a turn fighter at same alt you should get out of Dodge not dogfight. As the name suggests energy fighters need a good advantage in speed, height or both to be able to be effective. Try setting up the QMB where you are 1500-2000m above and BnZ them.

If you insist on fighting co-alt you have to extend away in a high speed shallow climb not a slow steep one. As Vin said 109's climb well but so do Spits and Zero's in a steep climb. So keep your speed up and shallow climb away. When you think they are far enough behind and below you, level out build more speed and 'Immelman' over on top of them. Rinse and repeat. This takes patience. Watch how the ace AI do it, they are rather good at it . You take the turnfighter let them have the energy fighter.

Re your second question. With two energy fighters in a 1v1 if you think there are no other enemies about, yes you can hard manuever fight them, but just like with all fighters you should still energy-fight, that is manuever in the vertical, not horizontal turning unless he is also and your about to get a clear shot. The difficulty is most of these types of plane are rather twitchy when you hard manuever them at slower speeds, so he that stays in control usually wins.
Gorkyporky
Beginner

Post by Gorkyporky » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:03 pm

So extend seems to be the magic word here. I had a feeling its like that, but to be honest, i fund that pretty booring, you know, flying fast in a straight line... Turning is just so exciting!
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:18 pm

Gorkyporky wrote: Turning is just so exciting!
Then jump in an I-152 and have a blast ;)

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:59 pm

:FI:Sneaky_Russian wrote:
Gorkyporky wrote: Turning is just so exciting!
Then jump in an I-152 and have a blast ;)
Or an I-16 :badgrin:

Learn to fly those planes "on the edge" and the rest of the planes that come after you can be dead meat.

On the edge refers to flying at or just above stall speed. One thing to remember an airplane can stall at any speed and any attitude. ;) The low, slow turnfight is fun if you don't kill yourself by snapping off into a spin, crash, and burn about the time you think you can drag the nose through just a hair more to poke some lead in the other guy's fanny. :oops:

The early 109's are great turn fighters. I love the F4. They'll outrun just about anything in their era in a dive and when you have to get down and dirty and slug it out, they do very nicely at that as well.
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

Gorkyporky
Beginner

Post by Gorkyporky » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:37 pm

Well to tell you the truth, im a real Spit-lover. I know it isnt the tightest turning, or the fastest, or the best diving, and that it is considered a n00b plane, but i just love it! Maybe for the looks, or by its legendary status, but i cant seem to get excited about any aircraft as much as this one. And i like to fly the Mk. V even more than the Mk. VII it IX, even if i get blasted out of the sky more. And the one i love the most is actualy the Seafire mk.III. Its a carrier capable spit for crying out loud!!!!
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:01 am

Well, if you like a certain bird, then by all means do your best to learn all of its' strengths and weaknesses. :D

Then fly it like you stole it. :lol:

:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:56 am

Just wait till you try the MkI mod (new slot). It's a beaut.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:35 am

Or you could take a few lessons from Sneaky, and fly a B25 like a fighter! Try it!!!! :D
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:38 pm

ACE TB-3's in QMB at X8 speed. :badgrin: