Requesting a fighter instructor :)

Announcements, Dates, FAQs
Birathen

Requesting a fighter instructor :)

Post by Birathen » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:46 pm

If anyone got a few hours next weekend I'd like to get some tutoring on basic combat manouvers. The fight today left me gaping in awe(and pretty much dead most of the time) at the quick turns and climbs you guys can make while still keeping speed and not stalling. I usually stall or lose a lot of my speed when turning in combat and thus end up dead in both cases :)

So if anyone has a few hours on say saturday I'd buy you a guinness and bring some notebooks :)

(Some practice runs in the bombers would also be much apriciated as it is a completely different thing to do a level bombing run with only cockpit then to be able to F8 in and out of the plane for alignment.)

Basicly.. Any help would be much appriciated :)

//Duce
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:03 am

Main thing to remember is that SUDDEN, abrupt changes in direction cost you energy (speed). While you can make moves like you described, you have to be gentle on the stick and trim. Practice is the best teacher.

Another thing to learn is "stall fighting". After you've blown all your energy and you're low, slow, and on the deck, then you have to keep that bird flying where you want it to go and hopefully well enough to get behind your opponent and smoke him like a cheap cigar. :badgrin:

Play around with the QMB and learn frorm your mistakes. Record your tracks and review them to see what you were doing when you shot the guy to pieces or went down in flames.

Then when you've mastered turning a 109K-4 inside an I-16's turn, :shock: we will call you master. :lol:

Burn lots of virtual av-gas and have fun.
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:01 am

Birathen,

I would be happy to teach straight and level flying to you. You don't want your back-seater to spill his martini ... do you? That's about all I can do. Being a CFI only helps when you are doing non-combat stuff. It looks pretty, but it's worth nuthin' when the bullets start flyin'.

Now, I don't want to volunteer anyone, but there are two very good =FI= shoosters on HL most week days. They've helped me a lot. Well, I've forgotten most of it ... but they helped. Check HL and join in with them. Depending on their inebriation level, indirectly proportional, they can teach you beaucoup stuff.

You did well today mate. Keep up the effort.

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:10 am

Aye if I'm on page me and we can go through a few things.

In the meantime try QMB offline as Willie said.

I setup that for practice quite a lot. Choose a good all-rounder (Spit, 109 G2 etc) and start against 2 enemy in slower or similar speeded planes ( otherwise they will extend and are a nightmare to catch). Start at rookie and if its too easy increase the AI skill level. Tape the fight and watch it. If you do this you can send one to me and we can review at some point over teamspeak.

Also stick setup is important if your losing control.

The squad we fought run a furball style dogfight server and all are very experienced, dying alot was easy :)

Good luck.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Energy

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:27 pm

Always remember The 1st rule of diminishing returns :-

"What goes up - MUST come down!" :lol:

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)