Aerobatics anyone?

Announcements, Dates, FAQs
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Aerobatics anyone?

Post by :FI:Genosse » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:55 pm

Folks!

Maybe you´ve already noticed but on our web site there´s a download section where you can get various IL-2 related stuff. One of the subitems is called "Tracks" and should contain some educational materials (actually there´re two tracks in it ;) ).

While creating a new instructional movie about basic flight manoeuvres (rolls, loops, etc) I tripped over the fact that I´m not able to fly them properly one after the other (which is necessary since you cannot cut and paste the track sequences in IL-2).

This embarrassing experience brought me to the question if there´re any pilots within the FIS out there who can actually fly them and maybe volunteer to teach them to me?

BTW, this is a list of aerobatic figures I´d like to perform in that movie ...
  • # Rolls
    # Loop
    # Avalanche
    # Square Loop
    # Eight Sided Loop
    # Immelman
    # Split-S
    # English Bunt
    # Half Cuban Eight
    # Cuban Eight
    # Reverse Half Cuban Eight
    # Reverse Cuban Eight
    # Inside-Outside Eight
    # Hammerhead
    # Humpty-Bump
    # Competition Turns
    # Rolling Turn
    # Tailslides
    # Spin
    # Chandelle
    # Wing Over
    # Lazy Eight
    # Barrel Roll
Any takers who might be even interested in a flight display team somewhere in the far future?

Anyone? :-k
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Ghost
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Ghost » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:10 pm

Flight display team? Eh, I've had such an idea back in spring. I talked to a guy I know who is expert in IL2 and he laughed at me... But I think it would be a great, great idea only it would certainly ask a lot of time from the members... Personally I would like to participate but my flying skills are not that good, and I am kinda handicapped since I fly without using rudders...
*Bury me at sea where no murdered ghosts can haunt me, if I rock upon the waves then no corpse can lay upon me*
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:56 am

When? 8)

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Post Maniac General

Whenever ...

Post by :FI:Genosse » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:00 am

... you like, Sneaky! :D

As Boris has already said we do need a lot of practice. What about getting it tonight at 1930 BST then?

8)

Image Image
:FI:Mefisto
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Mefisto » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:34 am

i can perform NOT to do list... :lol:

nice project Gen
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:02 pm

http://www.iac.org/begin/figures.html#Barrel%20Rolls

What AC are you thinking of flying?
Pity the I153 engine (amongst others) won't handle the negative G of some of these manouvers. (have to wait for BoB and the Su26 - 25/01/08 ?)

OLAN aerobatic software :-
http://www.aerobatics.org.il/olan/install.htm

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Post Maniac General

Next Friday, 07 Sep 07

Post by :FI:Genosse » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:33 pm

Folks!

I´d like to thank Sneaky, Gadje and Mikester for joining today´s training session. I´m not sure if we did well but after all it was a good start.

We did two squadron sorties: take off, flight in a kinda close formation (not FI like ;) ) and landing. I see there a potential, mates! :D

We closed the session trying to fly some aerobatic figures astern which turned out to be very difficult. Obviously a good communication and a to every pilot known choreography is essential! ;)

Anyhow, I´d like to continue this training on next Friday 1930 BST. This time I´d like to turn our focus on the Barrel Roll, the Split-S and the Hammerhead. Please check out this site for more information on the figures! :D
Last edited by :FI:Genosse on Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Image Image
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:27 am

Olan - (One Letter Aerobatic Notation) symbols from free software

:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:45 am

Sneaks, thanks for the link to IAC site. One of my old pards, Dan Clark, made the world team this year. :shock:

We used to call him "Durty" because he was ALWAYS a mess. He is one flying S.O.B. however.

Browsing that site brought back a LOT of old memories. :D
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:08 am

Looks like fun, even if it would be a lot of work. :D

If I can tear myself from real life, I'd love to give it a shot...
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:40 am

I would love to... but

I am going to a 'Cheese and Wine Party' instead :shock:

I feel both ashamed and sad all at the same time.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

Phoenix9
Boardie

Post by Phoenix9 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:59 pm

Hey! If you want to put together a virtual airshow don't let negative thought hold you back! It is possible and there is interest for this kind of thing in the flightsim genre.

There already is an annual virtual airshow for Lock On Modern Air Combat. It's called VFAT and my squad (Virtual Red Arrows) is going to parcipitate in it.

More info: http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?p=376158" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:FI:Ghost
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Ghost » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:49 pm

Phoenix9 wrote:Hey! If you want to put together a virtual airshow don't let negative thought hold you back! It is possible and there is interest for this kind of thing in the flightsim genre.

There already is an annual virtual airshow for Lock On Modern Air Combat. It's called VFAT and my squad (Virtual Red Arrows) is going to parcipitate in it.

More info: http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?p=376158" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've downloaded the training video from your SQN's site. Good stuff, you guys are good..
*Bury me at sea where no murdered ghosts can haunt me, if I rock upon the waves then no corpse can lay upon me*
Phoenix9
Boardie

Post by Phoenix9 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:10 pm

Thanks mate! We train a lot and we still have to go a long way until we're ready. I know some other guys that are doing barrel rolls in line abreast formation! Things are getting along nicely though. We just need more pilots...
Post Maniac General

the Split S

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:30 pm

It seems theres two interpretations of the Split S.

In competition aerobatics it's a 180 roll to inverted and a half loop down, reversing the direction of travel.

In combat you would exit the bottom of the loop in the direction that affords the greatest advantage, either to escape, or come about on a firing solution.

In trading off altitude for speed though; it is best used as a means of escape. So much the better if you can fly into your opponents blind spot and extend.