Falcon's fun flight facts

Announcements, Dates, FAQs
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:29 am

Just for clarification there are no training sessions planned for this Tuesday or Wednesday. However, Blue2 is very agreeable to providing more instruction in the near future. He mentioned perhaps a time that would also be convenient for any interested Euro lads.

In the meantime he is hoping those that attended to not only promote this stuff during H.E. sessions, but really consider pairing up with someone and teaching them what you have learnt in private flying sessions.

TS!
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:36 am

The Weave ...

This maneuver is MUCH better than spending half of the fight time trying to catch up with the leader while spread out all over Goshen in in-line non-formation.

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:00 am

The Thatch Weave is a bit different than yours Falky. The Thatch is for mutual protection whereas yours is for catching up for lagging pilots. Two or more aircraft usually weave together instead of one. Good tactic since half the flight is usually miles away from me.

Altar-"Hey, wait for me!"-Boy.
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:13 am

Yeah ...

this weave mostly is for positioning. I'll do the Shackle next which is similar to the Thatch and then I may move on to the Thatch Weave. Both are used for repositioning and checking six. I am diagraming the maneuvers in the way and for the purposes that they were presented in the classes. The Weave is part of many maneuvers.

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:54 pm

Be careful doing this one. You cross each other's path and in a busy environment this may get'cha.

Falcon

:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:03 am

A general question; I notice that most of these maneuvers involve the two planes crossing each other's flight paths- is there a general rule as to who goes "high" and who goes "low" to avoid a collision?
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
:FI:Blue2
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:05 am

Yeah, Murph. Usually, altitudes are held ~ constant throughout the maneuvers Falcon has diagramed so far, i.e. whoever was high before the maneuver is still the high guy after it.

Both horizontal spacing & altitude stack can vary quite a bit. Things like view from the cockpit of each plane, the airplane's size, the sun's position in the sky, & the direction of the most likely enemy approach can influence them both. More stuff too. You learn to do what makes sense for the given situation. It's not an exact science, as any diagrams ewe might draw would tend to suggest.

Like MOH_Soda so helpfully pointed out the other night, flying the exact position isn't critical during actual missions. But, if you'll try & be perfect when you're practicing... i.e. do the work of trying to hold your position, heading & airspeed, then everything will eventually start to come more easily. Work at it enough, & keeping decent formation through various turns & maneuvers will become something you do subconsciously, your blind areas will always be fairly well-guarded. It's sort of a "aim for the moon so you'll at least hit the barn" kinda thing, if you follow. It's also like riding a bike. If you don't do it for a while, you can always recall the basics. You'll just need to brush up again when you get back into it.
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Excellent!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:44 pm

Saving images as they arrive.

Will build them into a Power Point Pres and make available to all. :D
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:06 pm

Great stuff, I can't wait to join you guys for the next training mission :D

s!
Snoop