Hints, Tips and Tricks

Announcements, Dates, FAQs
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Hints, Tips and Tricks

Post by :FI:Gadje » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:23 pm

My last post in Sneaky's Ai thread got me thinking it would be good to have a thread where we can pass on any tips about any aspect of flying this Sim.

So I'll start.

If you run out of fuel or your engine dies turn your prop pitch to manual and drop it to 0%(if the engine cant feather). You glide for miles that way and might make it to base or back over your own lines. Has saved me loads that one. :)

In the old crates without direct injection whose engines cut out with negitive G. Hurri MrkI, I-16, Fiats etc. Drop your throttle to zero before you push the nose down and the engine wont cut.

On carrier takeoffs before you start the engine let your chocks out and then quickly put them in again. Apparently increases your takeoff speed.
( Thanks to Greg for that one ^:) )

And the AI one- When ace or veteran Ai start their crazy manuevers when your on their 6, pull your nose up to climb they stop the mad stuff and do the same, quickly roll 180, pull back on stick and see a nice easy snapshot in your sights. 8)

If I think of any more Ill be back. Anyone else?
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Engine stalls

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:47 pm

make sure you have selct magnetos assigned to keys.If you do stall the engine you can re-start it by selecting magnetos and hitting "I".
(And I know it works for the Hurricane 'cos I did it last night)
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Cruising Speed

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:31 am

This applies to adjustable-pitch props only:

After takeoff, and once you've reached your cruising speed, back youe throttle off to 75% and increase your pitch to 100%.

Backing off the throttle will reduce RPM/fuel consumption, and increasing the Prop Pitch will increase the "bite" of the propellor into the air.

The net result is the ability to maintain airspeed while conserving fuel. :D
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac General

If there is no objection...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:39 am

... I'd like to include these Tips, Tricks, Etc. in Goat Skies. And all would be categorized within an additional page in the "Management" Section.

All would, of course, include credit to the appropriate author. :D

I think it would be a good addition.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Re: Cruising Speed

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:49 am

:FI:Heloego wrote:This applies to adjustable-pitch props only:

After takeoff, and once you've reached your cruising speed, back youe throttle off to 75% and increase your pitch to 100%.

Backing off the throttle will reduce RPM/fuel consumption, and increasing the Prop Pitch will increase the "bite" of the propellor into the air.

The net result is the ability to maintain airspeed while conserving fuel. :D

:-k

I thought for Allied planes, which most here fly on a regular basis, it worked the opposite way Dan.

While still flying at the same airspeed (or thereabouts), you can not only reduce throttle once trimmed for level flight, but reduce the prop pitch setting to conserve fuel. At least this is what I do for longer flights - often 70% throttle and 80-90% (or lower) prop pitch will significantly extend my flight distance. But I could be wrong about this mate or misunderstood your tip.

TS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:02 am

Well here are some tips or thoughts both technical and philosophical:

- While there can be an Ace even with a poor setup, often the better sim pilots have good machines and accessories. Playing with solid frame rates and broadband Internet connection is critical for the greatest success. Those without these hardware benefits have a real challenge ahead of them.

- SA is paramount, but only if you know what to do with this information. That takes time. Play at 1024x768 and fly most times in Wide view, using Gunsight for ID and spotting ground targets, but resist the temptation to stay in Gunsight mode too long, especially when approaching a bandit. Otherwise you risk the real potential of collision. Also toggle your seat position to better expose your rear view.

- With regard to SA and views, and in light of the hardware comment, TrackIR is nearly indispensable.

While I see some folks using a "snap" effect with their TIR profiles, I personally feel a constant speed (flat curve profile) is better and more realistic. This is because you can better track bandits and ascertain their direction and speed. When using a "snap" profile, while you might jump quickly back to your 6 position, you lose some of this tracking ability. Even with a constant speed curve you can make it so that you can check you 6 position quickly enough in any event.

- If you can, put your flaps on a dial so planes like the Spitfire can engage combat flaps in dogfights. Too cheesy? :D

- I see no point in mentioning all the basic stuff that we all know and can read about. What I would say is that the poorer pilots lack one thing - confidence in themselves. I have always believed that the better gamers are always the ones who believe they are the best. A self-doubting pilot is a target and always will be until the day they discover they no longer have to accept this fate.

TS!
Last edited by :FI:TacticalS! on Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:12 am

I tried to convince my graphics card it's the best , but it just won't believe me.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:55 pm

Really? Must be ATI then. :-#
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:48 pm

Speaking of views I dont uses gunsight view that often for shooting. There are various FOV views in controls. I have set FOV55 to my stick which I use when in shooting range, its somewhere between normal and gunsight view. There are plenty others just try them out and see which suits you.
Post Maniac General

Tactical Tacitly Pointed out...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:51 am

I thought for Allied planes, which most here fly on a regular basis, it worked the opposite way Dan.

While still flying at the same airspeed (or thereabouts), you can not only reduce throttle once trimmed for level flight, but reduce the prop pitch setting to conserve fuel. At least this is what I do for longer flights - often 70% throttle and 80-90% (or lower) prop pitch will significantly extend my flight distance. But I could be wrong about this mate or misunderstood your tip.

TS!

You are absolutely right, Mark!

My apologies...must be the mechanic in me. :oops:

I keep forgetting that the Prop Pitch settings in this sim are exactly the opposite of RL. :oops: :lol:

Added a note in Goat Skies recommending reversal of defaults for Prop Pitch. Should make it a bit more user-friendly.
Last edited by :FI:Heloego on Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Post Maniac General

Take off - avoiding re-starts

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:01 pm

Tips for better take-offs

1) Assign brakes to an easily accessed joystick button.

2) Start your roll at 85% prop pitch to reduce torque and prop-wash effects.
Go to 100% when tail is up.

3) Use the rudder to correct roll.
i.e. steer in the direction of the wing that lifts first.
Using ailerons will only create more wobble .
A gentle turning force away from the direction of the stalled wing
helps increase the airflow and give lift on that side.

4) Make gentle, smooth adjustments .
(This goes for in-flight too, energy management etc)

5) If frame rates are screwy be patient.

6) Dont panic :shock:
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:41 am

When you are low, and in a jam.. Flip inverted and PULL! :badgrin: ;)

Maybe the bad guy will follow you into the ground or get killed by your explosion. :roll:
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

Viper
Beginner

Post by Viper » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:13 am

I was checking out the topics and the first one about carrier take offs and dumping and putting your chalks back in for more speed on take off is very good. If you watch your self in external view when you dump your chocks your aircraft will drop to the deck. Must be an oleg glitch. After that things work the way they should. If you leave the chocks in before you launch things tend to drag.
~S Viper
One outstanding pilot flying alone is looking for a place to die. Two average pilots working as a team are a force to fear.
Viper
Beginner

Go inverted and die??? I think not.

Post by Viper » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:29 am

If your down low and in a jam dump flaps and get as close to stall speed as you can and start stall fighting.

Most people in HL have no clue what stall fighting is or how to deal with it and tend to under correct there aircraft and crash. Keep your self moving and using scisorrs movements and high Yo-Yo to avoid your bandit and help keep energy up. Once flaps are down and you are at stall speed hit full power to keep it there and work your power to stay just above stall. If you keep it up they will either stall and crash, Flyby or pull off. And yes some times they kill your but either way you can still come out alive or win the fight. Its only a game but why just quit and die?
~S Viper
One outstanding pilot flying alone is looking for a place to die. Two average pilots working as a team are a force to fear.
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Re: Go inverted and die??? I think not.

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:16 am

Viper wrote:If your down low and in a jam dump flaps and get as close to stall speed as you can and start stall fighting.

Most people in HL have no clue what stall fighting is or how to deal with it and tend to under correct there aircraft and crash. Keep your self moving and using scisorrs movements and high Yo-Yo to avoid your bandit and help keep energy up. Once flaps are down and you are at stall speed hit full power to keep it there and work your power to stay just above stall. If you keep it up they will either stall and crash, Flyby or pull off. And yes some times they kill your but either way you can still come out alive or win the fight. Its only a game but why just quit and die?
~S Viper
:roll: I was being silly. That was a line a "line" we used to use for a few laughs at Arresti Aerodrome, when things were slow.
FAA INFORMATION EFFECTIVE 28 SEPTEMBER 2006
Lat/Long: 32-28-14.5010N / 097-33-37.0820W
32-28.241683N / 097-33.618033W
32.4706947 / -97.5603006
(estimated)
Elevation: 985 ft. / 300 m (estimated)
Variation: 07E (1985)
From city: 2 miles NE of GODLEY, TX
Time zone: UTC -5 (UTC -6 during Standard Time)
Zip code: 76044
Airport Operations
Airport use: Private use. Permission required prior to landing
Activation date: 07/1987
Sectional chart: DALLAS-FT WORTH
Control tower: no
ARTCC: FORT WORTH CENTER
FSS: FORT WORTH FLIGHT SERVICE STATION [1-866-272-7915]
Attendance: CONTINUOUS
Wind indicator: yes
Segmented circle: no
Airport Communications
WX AWOS-3 at CPT (10 nm SE): 119.525 (817-641-4135)
WX AWOS-3 at GDJ (13 nm W): 118.925 (817-573-7514)
WX AWOS-3 at FWS (14 nm NE): 120.025 (817-426-4172)
Nearby radio navigation aids
VOR radial/distance VOR name Freq Var
JENr035/24.6 GLEN ROSE VORTAC 115.00 06E
MQPr116/26.9 MILLSAP VORTAC 117.70 09E
FUZr211/31.6 RANGER VORTAC 115.70 06E
TTTr222/35.5 MAVERICK VOR/DME 113.10 06E

NDB name Hdg/Dist Freq Var ID
CEDAR HILL 248/30.4 353 08E XQH -..- --.- ....
MINERAL WELLS 121/31.4 266 06E MWL -- .-- .-..
REDBIRD 244/37.0 287 06E RBD .-. -... -..
Airport Services
Runway Information
Runway 14/32
Dimensions: 2500 x 60 ft. / 762 x 18 m
Surface: turf
RUNWAY 14 RUNWAY 32
Traffic pattern: right right
Obstructions: 3 ft. fence, 450 ft. from runway pole, 760 ft. from runway
Airport Ownership and Management from official FAA records
Ownership: Privately-owned
Owner: GLENN FRICK
ROUTE 1 BOX 25B
GODLEY, TX 76044
Phone 817-389-2196
Manager: GLENN FRICK
ROUTE 1 BOX 25B
GODLEY, TX 76044
Phone 817-?-2xxx
Airport Operational Statistics
Aircraft based on the field: 2
Single engine airplanes: 2

Instrument Procedures
There are no published instrument procedures at TE02.
Sadly, "Pappy" Glen Frick passed. He was a good friend, a heck of a comic, and GREAT aerobatic pilot.

I "x'd" out the phone number. Today there are probly 10 or 12 aerobatic and tail-dragger type planes stationed there.

Pappy had 3 hard and fast rules aobut flying there. NO aerboatic shit ( his words) below the power lines (Randy's fault). NO landing in the stock pond at the end of the runway 14 (Hiram's fault), and before you landed, you were reqired to make at least one high speed pass down the runway. Pappy would grade your performance on that manuever. :badgrin:

We burned a lot of avgas and drank a LOT of beer down there.

I miss the good times, and Pappy.
http://airsports.fai.org/feb99/feb9903.html

Glen is the big eared SOB, second from the right in the back row in the picture on that page. He died back in '01.
http://www.iac.org/news/105_16_01%20-%2 ... Frick.html
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!