FIS Navigation School

Announcements, Dates, FAQs
Skipper
Forum Junky

FIS Navigation School

Post by Skipper » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:16 pm

Ok folks here it is!I think i'm ready to start the "Basic Navigation" lessons.

This is probably the shortest part of the course and is also quite easy-atleast in my opinion ;)

There are only two training missions you need to attend before being eligible to take an informal test to see if you make the grade.

Basic is just breaking you in to using the system of calculations with distance , speed and time.We will still be using landmarks to aid in Navigation and check we're getting our timings right ;)

Lesson 1-A short introduction to using the calculations , how to note it down etc etc before a short ten minute flight in good conditions to break you in easily :) This should be a good chance to check if there are any problems measuring distances or times.

Lesson 2-This is a set of way points before landing at a different airfield.This flight will be longer with a little more effort required but again its not too difficult.It's just getting you used to relying on timings before turning and heading onto the next waypoint as you will ahve to rely on this technique in bad weather or night conditions.

NB-We can play these missions over and over as much as the participants want until they get a feel for things.

When you feel you're ready to sit the test , let me know and we can do a 1 on 1 session where you fly a map with a course and I observe to check you know what you're doing.This can be done at the convenience of me and the pupil.

To aquire the Basic Navigation badge , where you have to fly a set course over certain areas in order before landing again at home.I will observe this flight and if you make the grade you'll get the badge(This isn't too hard as the time limit to complete is 30 mins but I did it in about 20)

I plan to perhaps run one or more classes a week if this takes off(get it ;) ) so i'll start working on the "Advanced and Expert" levels which will require finding a pin in a haystack in ga;e force winds or something like that :lol:

So I need a maximum of 3 pupils who are willing to come learn some basic navigation.Unfortunately one of you will ahve to host as my PC is no good :x but I don;t think this should stop us too much.We can do it sometime tmw before the regular session if that's not too short notice and anyone is interested or we can do it next Sunday or another day during the week

Thanks for reading

Skipper :)

PS-Slots will be allocated on first come first served but I need to know before the session so Ican dispatch a map to those of you who are taking part.
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:47 am

I'm game, can host too ^:)
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Good on ye, Skipper!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:31 am

I'd jump on this, but RL scheduling interferes. ;)

All who are able.....Enjoy! :D
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:52 am

id love to bring my nav skills up a bit :D
:: napier ::

Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:42 pm

Thanks for your replies folks.I've spoken to Wayne and have decided it's best if we don;t run the first class tonight.I've send a message to you Napier to see when you can and can't do so watch this space for updates on when it will take place.

Cheers

PS-Still one more slot if anyone wants it ;)
Winston Churchill

:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Count me in, Skip!

Post by :FI:Genosse » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:43 pm

Maybe I can improve my German English a bit, nicht wahr? ;)

I know where Vladivostok is, Herr Instructor! Can I fly ahead then? :lol:
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:48 pm

Sure Frank :)

That it then...all slots closed for now.....I hope it lives up to expectations!

James

PS-When's your next training session Gen on engine mangement and such.....can I come along or is it too late to join?
Winston Churchill

:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

So...

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:47 am

When's the next class?
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:49 pm

Hey Snap,

Haven't even got the first one going yet so it could be a couple of weeks.....things will move quite fast though once I've got things going.

Apologies for the delay mate ;)

Winston Churchill

Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:18 pm

Well this never really got off the ground this time (get it ;) ) which was wholly my fault.

Anyways, I have like 3 months off now because my exams are finished so if anyone is still interested in here let me know and i'll get something together.

PS-Are the other Flight schools running like Helo's Ground Attack and Gen's general flight school etc?
Winston Churchill

:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:36 am

Skip; I think your end quote should be attributed to George Orwell- it's from his book "Homage to Catalonia" about his experiences in the Spanish Civil War.
The class sounds fun but I don't know if I'll be able ( though I sure could stand to improve my nav skills ).
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:09 am

and as George W. Bush once proclaimed, "I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them."

and as the sage Britney Spears once said ...

~~~

Skip, go for it!

... and be sure you cover that 'finding our way out of a paper bag' lesson again. That one always confused me.

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Post Maniac General

Why????

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:57 am

and be sure you cover that 'finding our way out of a paper bag' lesson again. That one always confused me.
Was it really plastic? ;)
Post Maniac General

Helo's GA Institution for the Very, Very Nervous

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:12 am

Thkip (et al),

Hiccupth with the opening of thchool and thlaughtered thibilantth athide, I'm more than willing to re-open GA thchool.

Bathed on previouth clatheth, though, training will be thtrictly "one-to-one" thethions until enough interethted partieth have been trained to provide a coherent forthe available for at leatht the Thunday Thethionth, if not the Friday Thethionth.

I'll need to re-work a few Training Mithionth for the clatheth, but thould have no problem coming up with thomething by around 5 or 6 July.

(Feckin' dentitht. Thaid I'd be thpeaking normally within a few dayth. Funny guy. :lol: )

(For thothe that have trouble underthtanding me, a tranthlathion ith provided in the following potht. )
Last edited by :FI:Heloego on Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Post Maniac General

Transthlation:

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:19 am

Thkip (et al),

Hiccupth with the opening of thchool and thlaughtered thibilantth athide, I'm more than willing to re-open GA thchool.

Bathed on previouth clatheth, though, training will be thtrictly "one-to-one" thethions until enough interethted partieth have been trained to provide a coherent forthe available for at leatht the Thunday Thethionth, if not the Friday Thethionth.

I'll need to re-work a few Training Mithionth for the clatheth, but thould have no problem coming up with thomething by around 5 or 6 July.

(Feckin' dentitht. Thaid I'd be thpeaking normally within a few dayth. Funny guy. :lol: )