My History Project

Got a problem? Need some advice? Ask Unkle Fenster, he'll put you straight ;)

Which topic to choose?

Battle of Britain-"Why did the Luftwaffe fail to destroy the RAF in the Summer of 1940?"
41%
Dresden-"Was RAF Bomber Command right to bomb Dresden?"
59%
The Dam Buster Raid-"Were the effects of the Dam Buster raid worth the high loss of life?"
No votes

Total votes: 17
Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Dresden

Post by Nightcat » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:45 pm

I've been researching this a little myself, its got alot of areas for you to state your own opinion to fill space.. there is definately alot of rumours and ideas with room for your own interpretation, ideas and thoughts. Perhaps write it from an alien perspective.. and I'm not talking ET lol

'Dresden was bombed to send a message to the Soviets. As the war was winding down, the allies split Germany into four occupied zones. Dresden was to be in the Soviet zone.' - random internet posting I found very interesting'.. some random internet dude wrote that, interesting...

The Brits called it a "morale bombing." - novel in itself

The Americans nuked several Japanese cities whom responded it was so gay and that ended the war with Japan. Why did the Americans do it? because they built the bomb first and it ended the second world war - I guess they needed to show the world and prove it, had the brits built they'res I suspect Dresden would still be standing and Berlin still glowing somewhat today.

If I was Mr Hitler I'd have placed all my important researchers, staff and workers into a town that looked just like Dresden, quiet and none threatening - it wouldn't have just been civilians and children, might wanna look at what it might have possibly held in a more millitary sense.

Einstein wanted into Britain, but they refused his immigration to he went to America... so some dude in some tiny lil office changed the world big time!

Forgot where I was going with the post, but Dresden is a fasinating subject!
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:17 pm

I think Battle of Britain.

Len Deighton's book Fighter:The True Story of the Battle of Britain is one of the great source texts and I may still have my copy floating about if you wanted it.

As a topic it is vast and you could pick a specific area that really appeals to you within it and place your focus on that.

Im not saying Dresden isn't a good subject its just that you might struggle to get away from the moral issues attatching to it and that is a subject that has been covered from here to eternity.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:11 pm

I think I might still be leaning towards BoB because I've read more about it so I'm sort ofhoping that means i'm better at it ;) Also , everyone has to have a different topic from each other per school (about 40 overall) and I think Dresden might have possibly been taken by one of the other groups...

But we'll see....its still early stages and I don't mind reading up on both for the time being!

Thanks for all the help so far lads :)

Skipper
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Re: Dresden

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:54 pm

:FI:Nightcat wrote: Why did the Americans do it? because they built the bomb first and it ended the second world war
The bombing of Japan did end the war for us, save the US from having to invade, which saved a lot of our men, which I’m ok with. Remember war is hell.
But I think it had a lot to do with the hate we had against the Japanese. My dad being in the Navy never got over it, strange he never really had that same hate towards the Germans, (but he didn’t know my mom after his death she would marry one :shock: )
Now for the bombing I believe it was also a way for the US to dish out some revenge, again because of the hate (right or wrong), instead of just accepting a sword from them.
And it was a little show for the Russians.
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
Skipper
Forum Junky

Re: Dresden

Post by Skipper » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:56 pm

:FI:IceFrog wrote:And it was a little show for the Russians.
Yeah it was the best possibly way to indirectly tell Uncle Joe not to mess with them ;)
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

re Dresden

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:51 pm

I think its a sad fact of war that once a people are convinced that their enemy have no morals;they begin to lose their own.

from the genocide of the Carthaginians to current events

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Re: re Dresden

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:49 pm

Sad, Morals? I’m not sure if that is a referral to the USA’s or just a generalization.
If it were just a generalization I would agree entirely, but if it were directed just to our bombing of Japan’s cities I would mostly disagree. We bombed a hostile nation, now mind you I didn’t say a hostile dictator, and remember the Japanese are the people who sent their sons on suicidal missions with their full blessings. Yes the USA in the wartime propaganda heated the flame up, but my dad’s resentment to the Japanese was more from his personal witnessing of what happened to some his fellow comrades in the hands of the Japanese, and which was not just dished out to our military personnel but to civilians also.
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

I never mentioned the Japanese

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:32 pm

Yes it was a generalization Ice , in an ideal world nobody would have to resort to that , but when the chips are down - the phrase "by any means" comes to mind.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)