Silent Hunter III

Everything that got nothing to do with games we play ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Dutchman
The Unforseeable

Silent Hunter III

Post by :FI:Dutchman » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:18 pm

Hi guys..,

I'd like to know who of you'll have the game Silent Hunter III ??

Dutch..,

ImageImageImage
Better loose one minute in your life, than loose your life in one minute...
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Jawohl, Herr Kaleun!

Post by :FI:Genosse » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:48 pm

I do have a copy of it in my house ... must be somewhere around here ... aha! Here it is ... looks a bit dusty but I think it´ll work ...

Ahoi, Herr Kaleun!

^:)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:12 am

=P~ =P~ =P~

Genosse, Conrad, fellow Kaleunen!

I have bought a couple of torpedoes while waiting for my little Type II U-boot with custom finishing, sport gauges, leather seats, klimatronic, tempomat, latest CD player with headphones for everybody and a special medical department with lovely redhead nurse with 60-90-60.

ekkkhm.....

Torpedo nachgeladen!!!

S!

Macca
ImageImageImage
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:40 pm

Hate you guys - hate, hate, hate. No more sleep. Won't see the sun now for months. Grrrrrrrr.

And yes I just picked the game up tonight because YOU guys made me. That's right, I take absolutely no personal responsibility in this matter. [-(

See you guys in the open waters. :D

Tact - "they made me do it" - S!
:FI:Spitsfire
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Spitsfire » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:02 pm

:D
Winner of the FIS pink n'shiney,
"Gee winkies! I've been here over a year
and am still completely normal,
pookey-pookey-pookey." Award!
The Unforseeable

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Post by :FI:Dutchman » Sun May 01, 2005 12:42 am

Allridy Tacts

great see you soon in the deep blue.

Dutch..,

ImageImageImage
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Sun May 01, 2005 5:09 am

I know one should complete the Academy training, but having almost read all of the manual and watched the training videos, I set off for my first patrol.

I went with Historical Realism and liked it very much. However, noobish and foolish I wasted too much fuel by not realizing that I should have used my battery more. Did manage to get back to base however. :D

While I completed the mission objectives, due to the limited fuel situation couldn't risk departing from my course. :( By the way if I am done the mission, I assume one can just end it (return to base automatically) right?

Decided since I didn't properly do the training, I would start over and do the 1st patrol on Easy, 2nd Normal, 3rd Hard then get back to Full Realism which I think is the best setting for me.

Must admit not that interested in the crew rest thing. I mean why not allow one to automate this aspect. Moving people around doesn't seem that hard just bothersome. :?

Beautiful graphics and immersion! Looking forward to full manual firing, but having trouble using the manual (ID ships quickly).

But enjoying it so far! Decided to be a bit risky, especially while just learning on Easy, and travel through Dover on my way to the target zone :shock: ! Already downed a large cargo ship. 8) Using the external view, at least for now, certainly helps me confirm little things that I am learning.

How are other folks doing? What level are you currently playing the game on?

Regards,
TactS!

P.S. Where are the whales?
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Dutchman » Sun May 01, 2005 1:30 pm

sounds great Tact,

but i am still waiting for the package to arive..

Dutch..,

ImageImageImage
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon May 02, 2005 1:26 am

Oh I'm sorry mate I thought you already had it. I think you'll like it. Give me plenty of stories once you start playing.

TactS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Mon May 02, 2005 7:10 am

:FI:TacticalS! wrote:How are other folks doing? What level are you currently playing the game on?
Tactical, old Canadian bean!

Well, I´m still enjoying playing SH III very much although I currently use noobish settings (65% realism). I recently made my 28th sortie of my career which I started in 1940 in my lovely VIIB submarine vehicle. The happenings of WW II are affecting more and more my hunting ... :shock:

It´s getting rougher in the year 1943/1944! The amount of these darn British warships seems to get into the thousands so I´ve to spend my reputation p(o)ints into modern torpedos like the "Zaunkönig" that reacts on sound noises! And in my prefferred patrol area in the BF grid south of Ireland (!!!!) the rate of attacks by enemy aircrafts increased rapidly! They even tried to bomb me after I left my harbour in St. Nazaire ... Buggers! :evil:

I´m getting more and more used to that game with every mission I accomplish and return to base ... so I think I´ll try to change my settings to more realism for the next sorties ... that´ll be exciting, won´t it?

BTW, here´re some of my latest screen shots I made on my sorties ...

Attacked by enemy aircrafts!

Got him!

Ship´s tank hit and pouring fuel on fire

This merchand was too long ...

... to sink!

Incoming warship ...

... has released depth charges!!!

Incoming plane!!!!

Until then ...

Gen "OOOOOhhhh!" sse ;C))

Image Image
The Unforseeable

Silent Hunter III

Post by :FI:Dutchman » Mon May 02, 2005 12:46 pm

yes tact, i will when got the package in the mean time i free'ed some time to make progres on BIA and i did, so when i got SH III, I can use the time on that game instead. to be continued,
oh and btw. tact snoop could arrange me a copy of BF1942 so in some time i will be on and see if you were right (but you will because i heard more and more from snoop and it sounds teriffic !!)

Genosse,

Amazing screenies, i realy looking forward to play this "GenLeun", now i see the fuelstain we talked about. I hope that in the near future we; 'tact' 'you' 'macca' and more kapitain can hunt in a wolfpack
the "PackticalS*" (* s for Seewolfe oder ist das "meer"wolfe Genleun??)

kapitain " Konrad" im schulle.

ImageImageImage
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon May 02, 2005 1:08 pm

Sounds great Genosse and Dutch!

Gen - Thanks for the information, story and pictures. As mentioned, after reading the manual (and enjoying the history of U-boats contained in it - love WW2 history!), watched the training videos, I set out to sea.

So far I have destroyed a large Canadian/British cargo ship. And tried to knock down a smaller cargo ship but only damaged it. It was a neat learning experience though, as I tried for a lame bow shot, and as the manual suggested, the torp just bounced off the hull - cool (but not so cool ;) ).

Question - Gen (others?) I'm not seeing any damage to the ships' hull after an attack. Is this your experience too? Too bad this isn't modelled in the game.

And I still would like to see some whales swimming around. :D

OK, glad to hear your settings Gen. I won't ask Rab his settings 'cause I'm sure without reading anything he started playing at "Full Real" and was still getting kills. :lol: I do find the lower levels not as immersive.

One thing I immediately missed was the need to re-charge the batteries, replenish O2, and purge CO2. And yet I need to practice a lot more with manual aiming, but that's for later patrols as I push myself with the added challenge.

I did encounter a small military craft, and quickly realized while he couldn't damage me I couldn't target him (too fast). Luckily no planes yet.

There's some nice tutorials and information posted over at the official website btw. Will be printing the stuff off today and reading tonight. Sadly I'm enjoying just learning the game mechanics and a little U-boat history as much as sinking Allied ships (which is wrong, isn't it? :D ).

Keep the stories and pics coming!

----------

OT - Sorry I couldn't fly yesterday as I had company over in the afternoon. As is my custom, however, prior to SHIII last night I flew 2 more Normandy 1941 missions, and was eventually killed in both. :( Darn sea legs! :? Had a good 5-mission run up until that point.

Anyway, in the first sortie I took the Hurricane, which seems to really be loosing E for me (should have stayed with the Spit I guess). As I approached my second waypoint I counted around 20 contacts in the distance - they covered the entire window panel in my plane. :shock: The second sortie feature almost as many planes.

Needless to say, it is a real workout maintaining SA with so many planes. In both situations my death was the same old thing - I got greedy for kills and lost too much E/altitude. Lesson learned I hope.

Afterwards, as mentioned, I headed back to the Dover Channel in my sub (SHIII). Hey, I guess there was a "BOB" gaming theme I had going on last night. Too bad I didn't see my sub/plane in each other game - now that would have been good immersion. :D

TactS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Mon May 02, 2005 2:06 pm

:FI:TacticalS! wrote:Question - Gen (others?) I'm not seeing any damage to the ships' hull after an attack. Is this your experience too? Too bad this isn't modelled in the game.

And I still would like to see some whales swimming around. :D
Yeah! You´re right, Tactical ... the ships´damage model is rather poor but maybe it´ll be improved with the next patches? :?

Whales? I´d like better to have a better sub instead ... but I´m still working on it! ;)

Image Image
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon May 02, 2005 5:11 pm

Was reading some articles over my lunch break. Man my head hurts. I am wondering now whether to keep reading the articles or go back to school and take a few mathematics courses. #-o

Seriously, the deeper you dig the further down you go! :D Are you guys man enough for this sim? :badgrin:

----------

There were a couple interesting articles in my local newspaper today/over the weekend.

One was an interview with one of Hilter's personal bodyguards.

The other was a local ceremony celebrating the Battle of the Atlantic - Royal Canadian Navy and Merchant Marine role 60 years ago. Timely article eh?
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Mon May 02, 2005 10:01 pm

Weeee!!!!!

Smoke on the horizon!!!!

Macca sets sails for his first patrol:)

S!

P.S. Did anyone tried playing online?And what is with patches?I downloaded 1.2 and it installs 1.1............weird....
ImageImageImage