Weirdness is my Middle Name

Questions and solutions for all mudmoving games related problems
:FI:ZekeMan
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Weirdness is my Middle Name

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:33 pm

Okay, so what is the deal with being unable to select a particular weapon (get "unknown weapon" message) and thus not able to get into a game? This has happened several times now. On these occasions I am presented with "special forces" choices instead of the normal choices. On others, say a rifles only match, I select the rifle (the only choice) with no luck. On other games that I am able to get into, I have not been able to select a sniper weapon. I am think there is a file somewhere that is either corrupt or was written over by a patch or download.

Z

We sleep safe in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night, to visit violence upon those that would do us harm... James Orwell
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:34 pm

Sounds like you've got a few conflicting mods installed...

Go into your Call of Duty\UO folder and have a look for any .pk3 files that don't correspond with either the default maps or any custom maps you've downloaded. These .pk3 files can contain a map, textures, sounds, a weapons mod, or any combination. Move every unneccessary .pk3 file into a backup folder and then try to connect.

If you have 'allow downloads' turned on and you connect to many different servers, sometimes you will automatically download mutually-contradictory mods. Best thing to do is to turn it off in multiplayer options, and only turn it on when you need to run the latest version of a server mod such as AWE. Or better still, do all your downloading and installation out-of-game, keeping track of what goes in and what comes out.

I'll be on TS later tonight if you need more help :)
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:49 pm

Ugh...that's a lot of searching in those files. Hell half the time I can't even keep up with the maps the Platoon uses. Now do any of you have a screen that comes up showing "special forces" weapons like a silenced M3 Grease Gun? I am thinking that whatever mod I DL'd has something to do with the error. If I can track down that mod, maybe I could get things straightened out.

I also noticed that when I open up multiplayer and click on the "mods" screen, there are a couple of unfamiliar listings in there. Any ideas on how to track them down and eliminate them?

Z

We sleep safe in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night, to visit violence upon those that would do us harm... James Orwell
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:16 pm

Moog, did you get the email with the attached screen shots of my COD folders?

Z

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:07 pm

I was away for the weekend and have just checked my mail. I got your screenies and I'll have a chance to look at them and hopefully help you in a little while.

I'll be on TeamSpeak until fairly late tonight so drop in if you haven't already received a response from me.

S!

Moog
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:18 am

No rush, Sir Moog. I got rid of the extra folders already. Those other files just look too damn intimidating tho.

Z

Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:31 pm

Ok, we're rushed now. Getting tired of getting the "unknown weapon" message! Grrrrr. Moog, have you had a chance to look at those screenies?

Z

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:29 pm

Yo Zeke, check your emails...

...sorry for the delay mate :)
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:57 pm

NP Sir Moog. I did the necessary surgery, now all I am waiting for is a chance to get on the Platoon server and test things out. HINT HINT!

Z